Thursday, April 27, 2006

Going to school in Frome was tough...

This is a picture of me in the 60s - proving that I actually invented English Civil war reenactment. The Civil war was one of the first periods I got interested in - reading the Ladybird Oliver Cromwell book and historical novels.
The photo was taken outside Milk street school by Derek Gill, Frome historian and schoolteacher at the time.
I was pretty taken by the Richard Harris/Alec Guinness movie Cromwell at the time - recently I rewatched it and thought it still was a good film. Review here . One Civil war movie you never see these days is the Carboard Cavalier a comedy with Sid Fields. All of them surpass the luckless To Kill A King with Tim Roth that is the most recent addition to the genre of British civil war pics.
So the part of me that is still like this photo is pleased to see Call to Arms' Cromwell's Ironsides (see below) and will be nagging the current me to buy some.

No comments: