Saturday, January 13, 2007

My career in the colonies


As it's been a while since I put a picture of me in the 18th century here's one with me receiving the King's commission at Fort Carillon - now Ticonderoga in upstate New York - I am the one on the left. You may think being a captain in the French Marines is meaningless but if I ever see any Canadian militiamen loitering about I will have them build a fort in my garden. I may then set up a trading post to obtain furs from the natives.
Ticonderoga was the scene of one of the great French victories of the Seven Years War when wave after wave of British and American troops threw themselves against a well fortified position - the action was a devastating defeat for the British. Preparations are already under way for the big 250th anniversary...