Monday, October 23, 2006

A visit to Radstock Museum



This week is free at local museums for residents so I popped along to Waterloo Road with Susan to see how it's getting along. Focussing on the area's Mining and farming history there are mock-ups of shops, a blacksmith, a coal shaft and local domestic interiors at the turn of the century - in effect what the inside of my house used to be like. The scullery pictured has a huge copper type bowl that we still have that was for washing clothes. Fascinating, but very weird - to be in that sort of 'Sunday Museum' frame of mind and seeing objects that we still have while foreign people and day trippers milled about. Here's also a picture of me pondering if it was on such a delivery bike so many years ago when I was about 14 that I lost my work ethic.
Anyway a great place to spend time - a nice cafe and bookshop with stacks of the educational 'Five Arches' magazine - I'm already regretting I didn't pick up the articles on the Crimean War and the Somerset coalfields. A booklet I did buy though was one on the Great War in the area but to my dismay no mention of our Grandfather!

No comments: