Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Jacko Monkey

Susan really wanted one of these things (made by Chad Valley in the 60s) but never got one - they used to hang on the walls high up in Woolworths and looked to me a little frightening - if someone had told me they were made from naughty children I would have believed them. But I was young - I believed there was a crocodile living in Warminster boating lake and a giant predatory hare lived in my wardrobe too. I was more interested in the Airfix aeroplanes that also were suspended on pegs but to Susan this ape was an object of desire. You'd think she would get one now off ebay - they go for about 30 quid - but she says that the moment has passed and she can't recapture it. I still like toys and the magic they contain and can't pass by a good toy shop - most of my happiest childhood memories are connected with them. Jacko Monkeys however, still scare me. A little. Maybe that's why Susan doesn't get one.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

aaahhhh I have been looking for one just like this for years!!!! My mum put mine in the dustbin, and twice I got it out!!!! But she got rid of him without me knowing and I loved himm!!!!! She has tried to get me one for my 50th birthday in a couple of days but has had no joy- she just misses the ebay ones and the ones on there now are not the same!!!! PLEEEEEASE HELP!!!!!!!!! and dont be scared of him, he was lovely

Anna said...

Ooh ! Thank you for this lovely post.
My sister had a jacko when she was a little girl and she adored him.
I tried to get her one too, amazingly for her 50th, last year and couldn't get one anywhere.
I had to get her a cute soft monkey instead.
Great post thanks
Anna
x

Anonymous said...

I have a JACKO monkey for sale on Ebay at the moment.
Please visit my auction if you are interested :-)
He's in great condition :-)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-1970s-Cuddly-JACKO-MONKEY-CHAD-VALLEY-/120600440306?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Toys_Creative_Educational_RL&hash=item1c1458adf2#ht_687wt_913

Thomas said...

They are so nostalgic for me. You can buy them for about £30 on Ebay but for a perfect one you can pay upto £150. I have 7 and am still collecting l.