Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Thoughts on Mickey and Sylvia


So are they any good? Well I am still listening to them - it might only be to hear the spicey biting guitar fills and solos by Mickey Baker but where's the harm in that? Maybe that makes me a bit of guitar nerd and for this reason I try not to inflict M&S on other people but I also like the cheesey songs too - they're quite dreamy and full of innocent joys like the one where they talk about a picnic in the park and taking along their portable radio tuned to their favourite rock and roll station. Of course you can't do that in our much vaunted National Parks or fly a kite but I digress. Male/female vocal harmonies seem a bit of a taboo in popular music - does it represent some kind of yuk factor? Anyway if you can get over that then these songs are like 50s Americana in musical form.