Thursday, August 16, 2007

Elvis Crawfish

This has to be my all time favourite Elvis moment - a brilliant Leiber and Stoller song beautifully delivered with a minimal backing - over shots of New Orleans - what more do you need to celebrate the life of the man taken from us 30 years ago. I'd love to cover this song but I would be in the worrying space of whether to anglicise it as crayfish thus losing the Elvisian syllable 'aw'. I actually feel a fair bit of guilt towards Crayfish - I used to hunt them down Vallis Vale and now everytime I go there I find none so I feel somewhat responsible. I also feel guilt over the Great Crested newt population of Broadway pond and the stone loach and gudgeon life at Feltham pond. But we didn't have game systems or the internet in those days - catching some rare pond life was about as good as it got for a ten year old in Frome.