Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The day my dad was on the news

Having your father on the main item of the main news is not something that happens everyday - so this event I will always remember fondly. My dad was a Labour politician - reading the Tribune and attending all the Party conferences - I have photos of him meeting Wilson, Callaghan et al but Tony Benn was a particular favourite, but anyway this year, about 67 I reckon we were watching the news on the telly and bosh! There he was! As broad as day.
Basically, notorious British Nazi Colin Jordan had broke in to the conference and started shouting a load of racist rubbish about South Africa, disrupting things but noone seemed to be doing anything so my dad, usually mild mannered got up walked to the end of the row got him in an arm lock and frog marched him up the aisle kicked open the emergency exit and chucked him out. Magic. We didn't have a phone at the time but the next door neighbours did and it went red hot! Was that our John? We think so, he is in Blackpool... eventually he rang ... yes it was him...'noone seemed to be doing anything and he was annoying'... I sort of understood and felt proud, but was more interested in what present he was bringing me back - a 7th cavalry kepi and a Britains confederate general figure by the way!

No comments: