Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Cock and Bull Story


Have you ever seen yourself parodied on screen? Well according to my kids I have, in this comedy about the making of an 18thc history picture based on Tristram Shandy (a few Barry Lyndon references in there) starring Steve Coogan and Rob Bryden. The character in question is played Mark Williams of the Fast Show and is a nerdy historical reenactor-cum-expert who is present when they are shooting the battle scenes of Namur 1695. 'They're cheap' someone says, 'We would have done this for free we love this period so much' he says - my lot said I winced. There's a fantastic model of Namur citadel in his garden too. You'll have to see the movie. I think he's nothing like me, but I take on board I used to be a bit like that. The film itself is very funny. KInd of like 'Extras' but a movie version with lots of the usual backstage bitchiness you can expect for a film about the making of a film.
I recommend you rent this very witty movie or buy it if only to see the second film to lampoon 18thc reenactors - the first being Alan Alda's 'Sweet Liberty'.

No comments: