Sunday, June 25, 2006

Comiserations to Mexico

I haven't really commented on the World Cup so far as it's not really my area of expertise as I dislike the 'bread and circuses' aspects but I needed the distraction as a neighbour's dog savaged one of our chickens and the owner was unrepentant, so my mood was black.
So I watched the footie, the Argentina v Mexico match. First of all it was the most entertaining match I've seen so far and I suppose I have watched the coverage of about half the games. A real nail biter. Most have been half-hearted affairs. Not this one. Secondly I think Mexico were harshly treated by the referee as the Argentinans seemed to have been on a foulling mission and only a percentage of these seemed to have resulted in penalisation. The Mexicans still showed enough pluck though to keep hammering away until the final minute. I suspect corruption - maybe I'm paranoid but surely we'd be naive to think that huge sums of money aren't changing hands at some level in this - there's corruption everywhere else why not football? Maybe that's why England fair so badly - they aren't greasing the right palms.
I now hope Argentina don't win the tournament.
There is something distinctly 1984 about the World Cup - you must obsess - you must drink copious amounts of beer - you must be a Nationalist - you must not however commit violence. That's like giving a party of 6 year olds unlimited trifle and saying you must not throw up. Islamists denounce opiate of the World Cup

No comments: