Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Brazil v Ghana

I could only watch the first half of this. I am pretty sceptical about this tournament, the refereeing seems to be very suspicious. I will give Brazil their due though - they are the only team I've seen who don't foul their way through games. I suppose it is pretty normal these days but usually it seems that whenever someone is going for a good run they get fouled, as a matter of tactics. This means that most of the time watching you're watching histrionics - people rolling about holding their shins in mock pain rather than being dazzled by deft footwork. Pretty dull compared to what should be wizard dribbling or whatever. Bring back sporting values into sport? Fat chance I suppose.
Still the World Cup is an event that unites the world in a drama without dialogue -my daughter is watching the game thousands of miles away in Connecticut and that idea that all over the globe people are biting their nails and postponing going to the toilet for another ten minutes is something to cherish.

No comments: