Friday, September 07, 2007

Napoleonic reenacting


Borodino Photos from last weekend here
Quite a few people come onto this page looking for information on this subject and I guess that they are maybe people who have watched Sharpe and thought 'I could do that - that looks fun' - but the trouble is - I personally can't find any decent redcoat groups out there in the UK - all the ones I see are about 6 muskets and about 9 officers and supernumeraries. With the exception of the 68th Durham Light Infantry I think they are all pretty poor. The King's Hussars are great if you like horses. You get the impression that the best days of this period have gone by in this country - presumably it was at its height when Sharpe was on ITV in the 90s. But I am a French sympathiser and I would if I was to do it again join a French group, possibly the 9eme Legere they have 60 plus members. However it IS a great hobby - especially the big continental events - they are always a great time to meet new friends from places like Eastern Europe or even further afield than that. Read an English language report on Rivoli, Italy to see what sort of thing to expect.
Recently was the annual reenactment of the Battle of Borodino from Napoleon's disastrous invasion of Russia. It looks great - see more pictures here - below is a collection of images from 2005. Wonderful. Why can't we do it like this in the UK?