Wednesday, September 26, 2007

History Channel's French Revolution


They've got a load of this series on Youtube - it looks fairly well done. I like French Revolutionary fashions a lot and we did have a band that was based on this look called 'Red Hot and the Sans-culottes' partly inspired by Vivienne Westwood's Incroyables look (see the Bow wow wow video below) - I wanted the look of the Paris mob - their enemies. We made a demo but then gave up - probably for the best. I did get to have a lot of clothing for this period though (see pic of me from about 92) when I reenacted it during the bicentenary so I have a bit of a soft spot for this era, though it was pretty bloody with mass killings by drowning and of course the famous guillotine. In this country we mostly know the era from The Scarlet Pimpernel and Carry on Don't Lose Your Head so it's not really going to really catch on. Now the bicentennial has progressed past the Revolution I wonder will anyone ever wear stuff like this again? I tried starting a forum on the subject a few years ago - it flopped.