Thursday, August 25, 2005

Review This Guitar Kills - Jimmy Page - 'more 60s groups and sessions 1962-7'
Background; pre Led Zep Page was Briain's most used session gutiarist providing explosive solos on practically every single made in the 60s - a slight exaggeration

I got this for one track - Mickey Finn and the Bluemen's 'I still want you'. I didn't know that Page played on it as I remembered it as a slice of perfect Jimmy Reed style pop and it is the harmonica solo that slays me - is that Page? Anyway this is a good useful compilation of random pop hits interspersed with explosive guitar solos from the Young Master sounding often like Johnny Guitar Watson with pop art scales cascading chaotically over the backing to neatly finish up back in the box in time for the vocal. There's a great range here - I like Burt Bacharach's 'Trains & Boats and Planes' with its Twin Peaks style twangy guitar as well as Heinz's 'Diggin' My Potatoes' with its crazy slide guitar work. A gem and worth tracking down as well as its partner cd.
Incidentally, as this is a historical reenactmenty type blog I heard from an English Civil War Society reenactor that back in the 70s - way back - Page and some cronies turned up to take part in an ECWS weekend - in full swashbuckling gear and jammed in the beer-tent aftewards. As I'm not a Led Zep man I can't verify this story. Anyone out there have photos or first hand testimony??

No comments: