Wednesday, January 24, 2024

John Mitchard 1970 election

 This was when my Dad - John Mitchard from Radstock though we were living in Frome then - contested the North Somerset constituency. I am on the left of the picture. I can remember that campaign well, we had an office on Wells hill up from the Shambles, and I remember driving around the constituency. Occasionally we would see the sitting MP Paul Dean doing the rounds too in his Land Rover. We went to some public meetings at Victoria Hall and places like that and I am pretty sure we went to Lower Writhlington colliery to canvas the workers coming out. I was very young and I was certain we were going to win - everyone seemed on our side but it was not to be but it was great fun. Met some great people and had our moment  in the spotlight