Monday, March 03, 2008

American Revolution in 1/32 scale

I am a bit coy about painting toy soldiers ever since the line in the film Groundhog Day when Bill Murray grabs a waiter and says 'this is Ralph - he paints toy soldiers, and he's gay' - but I do and I find it quite relaxing but I am heterosexual, honestly.
Anyway at the moment I am painting some Call to Arms American Revolution figures - a British company leading the field in my opinion with some really well sculpted and reasonably researched models - sad to see they are deleting their British Light Infantry - these could easily be converted to Saratoga Brits - see 62nd below - snap them up while you can. Imex have produced guns and crew in this scale though the cannons are a bit tiny it has to be said - more like the sort of things the Sealed Knot use - but the crews are good and the guns can be replaced. CTS produce ex Marx Mohawks though I haven't sampled any yet, will they be as good as the Barszo figures? ... probably not. Armies in plastic have produced some figures which I can't vouch for but they look OK. For Hessians I would use lead figures cast from the Prince August 54mm Prussian moulds. The real fun of the period and the scale is the collection of frontier forts, log cabins, even furniture that you can get for the period ...furniture? Maybe I am gay after all...
Check out the Steve Weston site for all your wants in this period in the UK.