Thursday, August 17, 2006

Badgers

As it seems that all my hinting to my daughter in the U.S. has come to nothing - she isn't going to bring me back a Wolverine when she comes home - I'll have to make do with our population of badgers, which due to our living away from any main roads is quite considerable. I did a search on aggression in badgers but didn't find much - in our experience - and this may be a localised phenomena - badgers are pretty scary. I think all of our family have at one time been chased or menaced by badgers during the night - we've heard of a man on a moped being chased by one and it's not uncommon for someone to get spooked down a path during darkness by a badger shadowing them aggressively. I like badgers as much as the next person but I always give them a wide berth when I am out at night - in fact if I'm walking down a path when it's pitch black I whistle to ensure I don't collide with one. Once or twice when I've had my dog with me and I've had a frightening experience getting rope burn from the dog lead as they both turn into a spitting snarling ball of teeth and claws.
Badgerland
Five injured in badger rampage
Badgers on the web

No comments: