Monday, October 20, 2008

Titfield Thunderbolt (1953)

I'd like to think that for every town, village or city there is some movie that has been filmed there. Obviously some more than others - I was talking to someone from Brooklyn who gave a whole list of movies filmed there but I'd also like to think that even fairly remote places like Radstock where we live have some cinematic glory. This sequence from this railway comedy classic is in my opinion our place in the sun... if you notice in the background a conical hill - that's a slag heap of coal - a batch and that places this scene along where the Colliers Way cycletrack runs. If you like old transport give it a whirl.
Actually I was talking to my parents about this film and they told me 'Jiggles' Orchard - a local rag and bone man had quite a bit of screen time in this film as his horse and trap was at a level crossing during one of the shots.