Sunday, May 25, 2008

Tarleton

I must admit to being slightly obsessed with the movie the Patriot. Embarrassing I know but I can tell that by the number of posts I've done mentioning the damned film over the years. Why? Well I suppose I am interested in the American revolution and I wished there could be a good successful film on the subject and along comes the Patriot and my wish comes true but at what a price. It is quite a feast for the eyes. The sets, cinematography, battle scenes are quite beautiful but as far as the storyline and characters are concerned it's hell in a handcart. British atrocities are depicted and the villains are so villainous as to defy belief - chief bad guy is 'Tavington' someone apparently based on Banastre Tarleton -someone who has been depicted many times as chief villain of the Revolutionary Wars...and was by his own admission a fairly rapacious and ruthless leader but was he that bad? Oatmeal for the foxhounds is a website dedicated to separating fact from fiction and examines the myths in an informed and entertaining way. Tavington fansite
Image from NPS site of the battle of Cowpens