Thursday, April 17, 2008

Tercentenary happenings

I said I'd post something that Celia my daughter would like this time and so as she is well into old ships I'd put up a photo of the "Preobrazhensky Life Guards", on board a ship of the same era. More photos here
Information about the Peter the Great era ship here.
This is a pretty important time for early 18th century reenactors with the 300th anniversary of Lesnaya in Belorussia in October and Oudenaarde in Belgium just two of the highlights.
Lesnaya was an important battle in the Great Northern War that sewed the seeds of the great victory at Poltava in 1709. I noticed that part of the battle of Lesnaya was about 1,000 Swedish soldiers who mutinied and stole alcohol and were left drunk in the woods. Sounds like a job for the Radstock Caroliners...
Early 18th century wars forum