Monday, October 17, 2022

Anthony Lennane Rockin' with Reed

 Today I met and chatted online with Anthony Lennane a veteran music fan, journalist and dj who has an impressive resumé having met loads of legends including Buddy Holly, Little Richard, Jackie Wilson, Fats

Anthony and Jimmy Reed. Flamingo club London 1964

Domino, Jerry Lee Lewis and many many more. But first of all I thought we would concentrate on Jimmy Reed - Anthony was friends with the man and has run the Jimmy Reed Appreciation Society since the 60s which is now on Facebook.

"We became good friends over the years I knew him and watched him perform many times in Clubs, Pubs and large  theatres in London and all over the south east of England.  I took a few photos of him both on and off stage but I wish I had a movie camera as there is only ONE piece of film known performing & that was ruined by a flashing projected light behind him which obscured him.  With the help of my mate Guy Stevens I started his Fan base here in the UK in the 1960's following my first meeting with him in Vancouver in 1958.   It grew to a membership of over 4,500."

"My main man who I'm proud to call my friend Mr Jimmy Reed whose Fan base I ran all through the 1960's after first meeting him in 1958. He was the most important Blues man in my life and I miss him still.   We did so much together, travelling to and from his shows all over London and the South east of England, chatting in his Hotel room eating together.   His drinking didn't help matters and his incontinence was a problem for him also, but I loved him."
Anthony is 82 now but is prepared to answer my questions. Hopefully more to come. Listen to one of Anthony's favourite Jimmy song Shame Shame Shame.