Friday, September 16, 2022

PYTHON LEE JACKSON featuring ROD STEWART - IN A BROKEN DREAM 1972

From the Youtibe video

'' On this date in 1972, IN A BROKEN DREAM by PYTHON LEE JACKSON was resissued and would go on to reach #3 on the UK singles chart in October (Sep 16, 1972)

DJ John Peel had signed this Australian studio group to his Dandelion record label, but they were having problems with the vocals so they drafted in Rod Stewart to sing a guide vocal. They were so pleased they kept his vocals on the final version. Although it flopped upon its initial 1970 release, it was re-released two years later after the success of "Maggie May" and became a worldwide hit. Rod Stewart was paid in an unusual manner for his demo. He recalled to Uncut: "When I did it, I hadn't broken through with 'Maggie May.' I did it for a set of carpets for me car. It was my mate who convinced me to do it. He ran a car showroom, and he said, 'I've got this group come from Australia, but the singer's not very good. Can you do a demo for me?' I said, 'What do I get?' He said, 'Well, I don't have any money. I'll give you a set of carpets.' That was 1969." The song was written in the 1960s by the group's keyboard player and singer, Dave Bentley. Issued in October 1970, it did not make the charts. Re-released in 1972 following the rise to stardom by Stewart, the song reached number 56 in the US charts before greater success in the UK later that year.''