Tuesday, November 23, 2021

King of the Delta Blues singers volume 2


 I got this album before volume 1. Maybe it was this artwork that I love. But anyway Document Records just posted this.

On this day, November 23rd, 1936, Robert Johnson had his first recording session in room 414 of the Gunter Hotel in San Antonio, TX.

8 songs were record that day including “(I Believe I’ll) Dust My Broom” “Sweet Home Chicago” “Ramblin’ On My Mind” “Come On In My Kitchen” and others.

Robert Johnson along with Sonny Boy Williamson were my first blues loved but it was easier to get too tracks by Johnson as it was in CBS and as he died early recorded no later tracks to confuse the issue. Sonny Boy did play with Robert Johnson and there used to be a Sonny Boy website that had a theory that Sonny Boy was the person who poisoned him!

Art by The Daily Planet, Don Wilson & Peter Amft.