Thursday, July 15, 2021

Buckland Dinham village

 When I was a young teen I used to hang out at Buckland quite a lot. I had a mate Tom who lived in a converted schoolhouse there. Another friend lived in one of the estate cottages at Orchardleigh house and we used to do haymaking on the local farm for money. Hard work but bought me my first Levis. Of course there was the Fountain inn - read about it here - but we used to frequent the youth club and did fence erecting and babysitting around the village too. We used to cycle everywhere and Frome was only 3 miles from Buckland Dinham. One interesting fact about Buckland - it had in the 19th century an incident where a farmer auctioned his wife which was the basis of a plotline in Thomas Hardy's book Mayor of Casterbridge. There is a good pub still in the village the Bell which has all manner of interesting events to enjoy. There is a single standing stone near the Orchardleigh estate.