Friday, January 29, 2010

Sonny Boy Williamson 'Bye Bye Bird'

Before Dr Feelgood came along I was mostly into blues. I didn't really have any faith in the music that was going down in contemporary Britain I have to say at that time. The Old Grey Whistle Test was to me the most boring programme on telly, but something clicked with me with the Feelgoods - I think it was the harp - they even did a cover of Checking Up On My Baby - they reminded me of a Yardbirds or similar beat boom band that had been locked in ice for ten years - they sounded like Johnny Kidd and the Pirates with harmonica. I didn't jump on them quick like - oh no - I was so disdainful of modern music at the time that it took a long time to melt through my indifference. But one of the great influences on bands by the Feelgoods was in my opinion a sense of no-nonsense, no frills, no loons, down-to-earth mono black and white music and it set a nation on the path to punk.