Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Animals 'We gotta get out of this place'

I love this song. Ichiban just played a version by Les Monsruos and it got me wanting to hear the original - this must be the Animals crowning song... forget 'Rising Sun' - this one is full of attitude. Of course the attitude it embodies is an attitude that I don't really subscribe to - it seems more in tune with my parent's or the 60s generation's view on life. My feelings on leaving places is that people should not try and run away from their poverty stricken backgrounds but try and improve their own place where their friends and relatives are living...not escape to reinvent yourself as some sort of reborn person. Maybe I can't identify with the slaving their lives away bit - anyone who worked with me and my father wouldn't say we slaved our lives away - I seem to remember us spending a lot of time going round chatting to people, killing time. But then I don't suppose Eric Burdon was talking about proof reading. Maybe I should try and find an answer song - something like 'We've gotta not despise our roots'.