Monday, February 04, 2008

'The Lakes of Pontchartrain' Paul Brady

As a way of deftly moving from the War of 1812 back to music for all you music lovers I thought I'd post this great folk song which I first heard of being played by Planxty. I don't suppose it is 1812 in origin as it mentions railroad cars but it is a lovely song and this is a fine version backed by Andy Irvine. Same chords and tuning as the Beatles 'Blackbird' apparently... I love the lyrics 'If it weren't for the alligators I'd sleep out in the woods' - we all know that feeling don't we? Lyrics here . Wiki on the song here.
If you're a Planxty fan - and I can't imagine any reason under god's earth you shouldn't be then you will be glad to see someone has posted 6 parts of a documentary on the brilliant band up on Youtube - part 1 here. Educate yourself and do me a favour and watch it.... official Planxty website