Sunday, December 16, 2007

No Jokes in Ian Curtis Biopic


I watched the Ian Curtis biopic 'Control' last night. Thought maybe the story of a working class youth afflicted with epilepsy killing himself wracked with guilt might make me feel a bit festive but it didn't work. Just joking. Still it is a great film well done but well short on laughs - a few references to flatulence was about all you got for humour in this monochrome and gritty slice of cinema - in a way reminding me a little of the kitchen sink dramas of the 1960s but then I suppose it wasn't that long after that era that it was set. Period detail was good though I can't imagine a scenario where the Velvet Underground would be coming out of a pub jukebox at that time, but I suppose they didn't want to ruin the soundtrack. Shame they didn't use the song At A Later Date in the Electric circus bit as its lyrics are pretty interesting in a way
Only thing I'm thinking of is why are we all here ? There must be more to do at nights than drinking rotten beer. The world's a very shady place, and you can't trust a soul. "grin and bear it" seemed the thing, when it just gets a hold.
In a way an unmissable film if you are interested in the music of the era but don't expect to feel at all fuzzy after watching it. Did I tell you we were at Joy Division's first ever London gig? There wasn't many there as depicted in the film - it was just after Christmas - according to a website only 30 people paid the 60p admission price but we certainly did. I wish we'd spoken to them now but being Mancunians we probably felt that they were from a different planet. Incidentally if you want to get the Ian Curtis trenchcoat look as featured in the film it's a US army ag-274 raincoat - they're still quite cheap on ebay.