Saturday, August 15, 2026

Chuck Berry Performs "You Can't Catch Me" in 1956's "Rock, Rock, Rock!"

 You Can't Catch Me - Wikipedia

I bought a brand new airmobile
It custom made, it 'twas a Flight DeVille
Pow'ful motor and some hideaway wings
Push in on the button and you will hear her sing
Now you can't catch me, baby you can't catch me
'Cause if you get too close, you know I'm gone like a cool breeze
New Jersey Turnpike in the wee wee hours
I was rolling slowly 'cause of drizzlin' showers
Here come a flat-top, he was movin' up with me
Then come wavin' goodbye, in a little, old suped-up Jitney
I put my foot in my tank and I begin to roll
Moanin' sirens, 'twas the state patrol
So I let out my wings and then I blew my horn
Bye-bye New Jersey I've become airborne

The song's lyrics describe racing a souped-up "air-mobile" down the New Jersey Turnpike, then unfolding its wings and taking off.[2] At the time, the Aerocar designed and built by Molt Taylor was nearing Civil Aviation Authority approval for mass production as a flying car with detachable folding wings.[3]