Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Radstock Festival and the Phantoms

 


Back in 2003 North East Somerset Arts who were a council run thing decided that Radstock needed a festival and set aside the beer garden of the Radstock hotel for a music event. They asked for volunteers to run the event and I put my name forward. I had to find about 6 bands who would play for a meagre fee. We were using a rehearsal studio in Bristol and so I posted there and got a few bands of different styles. I decided that our band should play too. Garage Rock n roll with added harmonica. Dave Mackay on bass and Andy Payne on drums. I sang a couple. 
   The problem was the singer Rich was banned from the pub for a very minor thing. So we hit on a plan. Calling ourselves the Phantoms I had wigs from reenactment of the 1680s so we would smuggle him in so dressed and once on the stage they couldn't stop us. So it happened. Shades and a wig he looked like Ian Hunter and nobody, even people who had known him all his life, recognised him at all. After about 3 songs Rich got hot and took the wig off and was immediately spotted but of course no one was going to stop us by then. It went down well and the event was a success. It was never repeated but it was a fun day.