Sunday, July 14, 2024

My life as a teenage bluesman

 I mostly learnt about blues from the local Frome library. It had about 10 books on the subject.

I learnt harmonica from this book. In Bath there was a shop Duck Son and Pinker that sold classical, jazz, blues books and records. It had a listening booth where you could request tracks. Very useful. 

Duck Son and Pinker. A chain of these shops in the West Country
This was probably the most useful book the library had. 1971. I now have my own copy. A series of articles originally in Blues Unlimited on pretty much all of the bluesman of the 1960s.

There was a tv series from 1976 on the BBC. I had the accompanying book which I had as a prize for a story competition at school. The Devil's Music tv series on IPlayer is a 1979 rehash with Alexis Korner not the original series. I taped it on cassette as this was before video.