Thursday, January 07, 2021

The Dug Out Club Bristol - my memories

 

When I was a teenager I went to printing college Bristol as part of my apprenticeship. We would stay in rooms Monday to Thursday. It was such that you wouldn't stay in so went out every night even if it was going to the cinema. I had a few mates there Steve from Trowbridge who was a punk and had seditionaries clothing something I'd not encountered before. This was 1977. Also friend at that time was Yan an old school friend who was living in Bristol at the time. So we would go out to clubs, discos and gigs when they were on. One place we used to go was the Dug Out in Park row Bristol. It was underground and was a Warren of small rooms. Mainly playing reggae they would occasionally put on live punk bands like the Android Pups.We got interviewed there once for a film on the local punk scene. This was before it was fashionable for the hip hop scene in the 80s. We would often get mugged as we roamed around Bristol in the middle of the night in rough areas (Yan lived in Easton) but it didn't phase us as we had little money on us anyway. The Granary was another place we would go and it was at a gig at the Granary where I met Susan when she came to Bristol with some people I knew. I remember our drummer Puddle thinking Bristol was scary but we never were scared. Living in Frome was much more scary!