Tuesday, June 18, 2024

From Steve Moriarty on the group King of the Rumbling Spires

 Taken from a French article published in March 1972 in a French-Canadian pop newspaper called Photo-Vedettes.

Paul McCartney: "T.Rex and Marc Bolan are my favourite artists. They are the only British group I like because they really prove above all to be original. I must admit that I preferred Marc Bolan during his acoustic period, nevertheless, his electric albums are wonderful. Bolan is the only British singer who can follow the Beatles' success in America."

John Lennon: "In today's pop music, there are only two things that interest me: rock 'n' roll and avant-garde poetry. Only one group today is of interest to me, Marc Bolan and T.Rex. He is the only one who has excited me and I look forward to meet him again. His music is good rock 'n' roll; it has good beat and it really swings. But it is mainly his lyrics that amaze me. His way of writing is new and I have never read lyrics as funny and as real as his. Apart from few American exceptions, Marc Bolan is the only one that has caught my attention and I believe his mythology is real as well. He will release a book of poetry in the near future and I look forward to read it again and again. Marc Bolan is the only one who can succeed to The Beatles."