Friday, May 24, 2024

Sally Cary Fairfax 1730-1811

 Radstock's most famous resident. Portrait from here

You may think this portrait has nothing to do with Radstock but it's a portrait of Sarah (Sally) Fairfax who was George Washington's first love and she came to live at Writhlington Manor during the American Revolution I think. She is buried in the Church there. 

I don't know much about her but I think she used to exchange plants with George Washington. Her wiki is here  but it doesn't mention Writhlington only Bath. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sally_Fairfax

incidentally Writhlington Manor is no longer there. It was sold to an American who had it dismantled to be taken over to be reassembled stateside but World War 2 happened and it stayed in Bath. 


I used to be friends with the family who lived at St. Mary's church in Writhlington (converted to a house) and one day we were playing music in their back room and we stopped playing and I said out of the blue 'where's Sarah Fairfax buried then?' Steve answered 'you are standing on her' and I looked down and I was. Just then I got an electric shock. Very disturbing.😆

Sarah "Sally" Cary Fairfax, attributed to Samuel Shelly, ca. 1774-1785.